Friday, October 23, 2009

What size is your pleasure?

March 12, 2009

We met with a plastic surgeon to discuss the various options in reconstruction. Unfortunately, I was filled with tension and apprehension for this visit. I had been looking forward to joking around with Patrick, learning the options and making this decision as light as possible. How many times does a person get the chance to redo a portion of their body and insurance pays for it? Hopefully not many.

However, earlier in the day, I had a routine GYN appointment, and received news that I didn't want to hear. It's not enough to hear the dreaded 'just scoot a little further down', I was informed that one of my ovaries was enlarged. The bottom literally fell out from under me. In that short time span I became convinced that the breast cancer was secondary and that the primary tumor was in my ovaries or uterus. The doctor's office wanted to wait to schedule an ultrasound and/or biopsy until after the masectomy, feeling that I may receive some of this testing anyway from the oncologist. Why go through the testing twice, right? Wrong! Who in their right mind would want to wait....not me! Patience is definitely not my middle name. I scheduled the pelvic ultrasound for March 16.

There are a few options for breast reconstruction. You can do the implants, saline or silicone and there is the version where they take the fat and tissue from your stomach (tummy tuck, sounds pretty darn good), back or butt to form the new breasts. I actually considered the tummy tuck version but was told that I wasn't a good candidate because I didn't have enough belly fat. Woohoo! That was okay with me. Ultimately, I want the quickest recovery period and the implants will give this to me. Plus, why take the chance that I would have future stomach problems.

The only highlight of the day were the 2 adorable, white Bichon Friche dogs in the surgeons waiting room. They are used as therapy dogs. We all know I am a germ a phobe. The thought of dogs running around with patients and unsanitary medical conditions makes me queezy. I became a believer after I witnessed how clean the facilities were and what effect they had on Patrick. I could visibly see they were calming him down. If only they could have worked on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment